Monday, February 11, 2013

Chickpeas Gone Wild

Normally, I make small packages/baggies of my favorite hiking snacks, but it is a little thrilling to find something that is already a single serving and doesn't need refrigeration.

I found these little beauties in World Market.  They are going to be best for day hiking or maybe weekend backpacking where you don't have to worry about pack weight or the extra space these will take up.

Looks like they are available nationwide or get them online here.
Hummus is a great tasting, protein rich snack.  Just bring along some tortillas or crackers (careful not to crush them into teeny tiny crumbs).

For longer trips, there are a few options for hummus loving folks.  My first ever backpack trip was a short overnight with some amazing ladies.  One of them brought a bag of hummus dry mix.  I'm not sure what brand she had, but it was similar to the one made by Fantastic Foods.  There are others though, so choose your favorite.  I have not personally seen it in stores near me, but everything under the sun can be purchased online.  The directions may call for added oil when mixing, but I'm positive we didn't have any oil on the trip and it turned out just fine.  Just add water.

For one or two people a bag of mix could last for several days of snacks depending on how much or little you mix at a time.

You can also dehydrate your own.  I would recommend making it yourself and not buying.  You would not want much if any oil in your dehydrated hummus.

1 comment:

  1. and if you do crush the crackers, they will still mix with the hummus and taste great! :)

    ReplyDelete