Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hiking

I consider myself an experienced trail hiker.  If it has a trail up, down, around, through, behind, or beside, I can hike it.  

I LOVE hiking.  If I could keep the dog in kibbles just by hiking, that would be flipping amazing.  That's right...FLIPPING AMAZING!  Unfortunately, I have not been able to convince anyone to pay me to hike...yet.  

Now I have a confession to make.  I hike alone.  Now before anyone jumps down my throat, let me explain. Since moving to Colorado, I have not found a group of people who hike as much as I want to or who are very reliable.  I have been in more dangerous situations with groups than I have on my own, so I conclude that I do much better on my own.  That being said, hiking is dangerous and even experienced hikers are injured or worse in the backcountry.  Hiking alone is not recommended.  I still do it.  This is one of those "do as I say, not as I do" moments. 

I was thinking about what I wanted to tell people about hiking alone and why I am willing to take the chance.  As I slowly made progress up the side of a mountain the answer came to me.  A few weeks ago, a man shot 12 people to death in a movie theater not far from here in Aurora, CO.  I saw an interview with one victim's father.  He said that his son and his girlfriend were really into the Batman movies, and had been looking forward to the midnight premier.  I realized, as I ambled through the pine forest, that this was my Batman movie premier.  I'm really into it.   I love hiking in the forest, the desert, the tundra.  I want to be in the wilderness.  And so I go.  



I have learned a few things over the last few years of hiking bliss and blisslessness:
1.  Use poles.  I didn't use poles for a long time, but once I did, the heavens opened up and angels sang, "Where have you been all my life!"
2.  Carry a flashlight, lighter, and a map.  I was lost once.  I was scared.  These items would not have made me less scared, but they would have made me more prepared.  
3.  It isn't a race.  And even if it is...I just don't care.  I may always be the slowest hiker on the face of Planet Earth, but I just don't care.  No one ever found a more magnificent view or gobbled up some extra bit of glory by beating me there, and if they did, I hope glory makes them fat in their old age.  So there. 
4. Talk to strangers.  Say hello to everyone you meet.  Hikers are a community.  If you don't say hello to me or at least smile, I will make a face behind your back.  Not really, but I will wonder who put saran wrap on your toilet seat.  


2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are writing again :)

    Also, as another female that hikes alone all of the time....I would like to add one thing. Always carry a first aid kit of some sort. And extra socks.

    I agree with hiking being a community and saying hello to people also gives you a vibe about them. Instinct is the greatest tool when alone in the wilderness (or anywhere), and those vibes can save your life. So, go ahead and SMILE! Especially if you see Patrice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point, bee-yatch. I confess that I don't often take a fist aid kit along, with the exception of backpack trips.

      Since I am making a concerted effort to grow as a human and all that, I'll throw the 1st aid kit in ye ole backpack for my next excursion.

      Delete